Forget the silly sexual pronoun renaming hand wringing other liberal societies will participate in this summer. NYYM as a religion of “no” will stretch to try a minute to the world which no one will ultimately listen on our protest of the negative connotation of “left” in literature and in public speech.
The negative meaning of “Left”
We’ll discern our feelings for the structural bias against things ‘left’ in formal and colloquial writing and speech.
- Hurry up or you’ll be left out!
- Where did you get that idea, out in left field?
- See the world, or what’s left of it.
- What’s for dinner, honey? Sorry, leftovers.
- We were on our way to the horizon of happiness and mental health when suddenly we made a hard left turn into crazy town.
Even our more elite hyper educated Friends know we can go all the way back to a foundation of English with the French word “Gauche”. Notice how its usage is inherently ridiculous of the left? Clumsy, oafish, dense.
The world has to know what Friends stand for, and that is “left” and “no”. Like a two-year-old who wants to have her (or even better, someone else’s) cake and eat it too.
“Left” is our witness to the world!